PPF i.e. Public Provident Fund is a tax saving scheme with saving facility. It also beneficial for those who do not have any structured pension plans for the old age. PPF account is provided by SBI, some of the nationalized banks and Post office. It is a scheme provided by Govt. of India for all the citizens of India.
- Any individual (whether salaried, pensioner, Self Employed or any other category) can apply for the scheme.
- Minor are also eligible for PPF account as their father or mother can open the account on the behalf of them but only one of them should be involved, both cannot open the account for the same minor . After the death of the parents minor is not allowed to continue the account and the deposited money will be refunded to them.
- NRI (Non Resident Indian) are not liable to have a PPF account. However, if while residing in India one has open an account and then got transferred to any other country he/she can continue the account for 15years.
Procedure for opening of PPF account in Post Office
- One has to locate the nearest head post office or sub post office and has to visit the branch.
- The second step required is to fill the form for opening an account. Click here to download the form. Fill all the fields correctly with appropriate details like name, date of birth etc.
- After filling the form paste a passport size photograph of yours and then submit the application form along with other needed documents and Rs. 500, this is the minimum amount which is required to open a PPF account and the maximum is Rs. 70,000.
Documents needed for PPF account:
- 2 Passport size photograph
- Identity Proof (Voter ID Card)
- Address Proof (Ration Card, Electricity Bill)
- PAN Card
- After submitting the form to the concerned person he/she will provide you a passbook same as bank account’s. The passbook will contain all important details like account number, branch name, you name etc., this will be used to record all transactions related to the account.
NOTE (Important details)
- One person can have only one PPF account, Discrepancy in which will lead to closure of the second account and the principal amount will be refunded not the interest.
- Joint PPF account is not allowed as it can be opened in the name of only person. However, the account holder can appoint nominee/s for the account. Death of the account holder will result in distributing all the money among nominee/s, but the nominee is not allowed to continue the account.
- Maximum period of PPF account is 15 years after which it will be closed, however, one can extend the period for another 5 years
- Premature withdrawal can be done only after completion of fourth annual year and that to only 50% of the amount that stood in his account.
- One is also liable to take loan against the PPF account.